07 Apr Construction Update/ Look Ahead
TRAFFIC & ONGOING UTILITY RELOCATION CONSTRUCTION
Following is the construction Look Ahead/Weekly Forecast, for the Third Street Tunnel Infrastructure Project which outlines work activities that may impact the surrounding community, as provided by Property Group Partners (PGP). Balfour Beatty Construction DC (BBCDC), the construction manager, will make every effort to advise PGP of changes that affect the scheduled events. The schedule is subject to weather and unforeseen circumstances.
UPCOMING ROAD CLOSURES / TRAFFIC SHIFTS
Closures are planned for Massachusetts Avenue for the next two weekends, including:
- Periodic lane and/or street closures with detours Saturday and Sunday, April 8th & 9th
- Lane closures on surface streets should be anticipated for the next four weeks.
- Highway: Southbound closure Sunday night. Northbound closure at nighttime for the next several weeks.
UPCOMING ROAD OPENINGS
- On Saturday, April 22nd the new Mass. Ave. I-395 Portal is scheduled to open. More information coming soon!
REMINDER OF WORK HOURS
As an ongoing reminder, the contractor is adhering to prescribe work hours which include the following at
Avenue and H Streets, NW between 2nd and 4th Streets:
- Monday-Friday 7:00am-5pm
- Monday-Tuesday 7:00pm-12:00 midnight, as needed
- Saturday-Sunday 8:00am-6:00pm, as needed
Also, work in the I-395 Highway, including the new on-ramp portal being constructed at 2nd and Mass is permitted for 24-Hours operation. The highway work takes place overnight for safety reasons as there is much less traffic.
I-395 OVERNIGHT LANE CLOSURES
As noted below, work in the I-395 Highway will last for the next several months. There will be overnight lane closures and detours to accommodate the installation of pre-fab concrete wall panels in the median and then vertical steel erection. This work is not any louder than previous overnight highway operations. However, there may occasionally be different sounds as the concrete panels and steel pieces are placed and secured. If unusually loud noise occurs overnight, please email email@example.com or call 202-719-0196 to report the problem.
MASS AVE AREA NW:
- Work on Mass. Ave. I-395 Portal progressing; wall and roof forming, concrete pouring ongoing.
- Paving merge area Saturday, April 8th.
- Street light, traffic signal and over-height detection signage manhole installation ongoing on Mass. Ave.
- Cable pull planned for Monday, April 10th.
3RD STREET AREA NW:
- Demolition and excavation activities at OCTO site at 3rd Street between Massachusetts Avenue and G Street are ongoing.
- None of this work is being performed overnight and should not cause any abnormal daytime noise.
I-395 & 2ND STREET AREA NW:
- Second lane of traffic on 2nd Street opened on schedule Saturday, April 1st.
- Light fixtures, conduit, and pipe installation ongoing at night.
- Lane closures being utilized in northbound lanes during the daytime. Nighttime lane closures are used each night northbound and southbound as needed.
- Continued tilework at taper wall beneath Mass. Ave. bridge, northbound
- Traffic on northbound and southbound I-395 will experience slower speeds through the work zones. No parking restrictions are anticipated.
3rd Street Tunnel & Capitol Crossing Projects Continue to Receive Rave Reviews:
Washingtonian Magazine highlighted Capitol Crossing as one of the most anticipated development projects in the Washington metropolitan area in its story “The Rules of Washington Real Estate” in its April edition-www.Washingtonian.com.
Landscape Architecture Magazine gets up close and personal with the mechanics of how the 3rd Street Tunnel Project has significantly improved infrastructure and brings innovative design, green-building and energy sustainability to one of the District’s most important projects in its story “City Heal Thyself.” Click link or cut and paste into your browser: https://landscapearchitecturemagazine.org/2017/02/27/city-heal-thyself/