07 Jul Construction Update/ Look Ahead
TRAFFIC & ONGOING UTILITY RELOCATION CONSTRUCTION
Following is the Construction Look Ahead/Weekly Forecast, for the Third Street Tunnel Infrastructure Project which outlines work activities that may impact the surrounding community, as provided by Property Group Partners (PGP). Balfour Beatty Construction DC (BBCDC), the construction manager, will make every effort to advise PGP of changes that affect the scheduled events. The schedule is subject to weather and unforeseen circumstances.
ROAD CLOSURES/TRAFFIC SHIFTS
- There will be road closures and detours in place on Massachusetts Avenue on Saturday, July 8th.
- No work is expected on surface streets on Sunday, July 9th.
- Note: The eastbound lane of Massachusetts Avenue, adjacent to the portal between 3rd and 4th Streets will be closed from 8:00 am Saturday, July 8th until 7:00 am Monday, July 10th.
Now that the new Massachusetts Avenue Portal is open, here is a reminder of approved traffic routing:
- Southbound traffic entering I-395 will use the new Massachusetts Avenue portal entering from the eastbound lanes of Massachusetts Avenue on the approach to 4th Street, NW.
- Motorists traveling south on 3rd Street must use the D Street entrance.
- There is no access to the new portal for motorists traveling westbound on H Street or Massachusetts Avenue. NOTE: There is also NO LEFT TURN from westbound Massachusetts at 3rd Street.
- Motorists approaching I-395 above New York Avenue or traveling westbound on H Street or Massachusetts Avenue, NW are advised to enter the highway at the New York Avenue entrance or use 4th or 5th Street to access the D Street on-ramp.
- Eastbound H Street between 3rd and 4th Streets will be expanded to three lanes.
- Eastbound Massachusetts Avenue between 3rd and 4th Streets will be reduced to two lanes.
- All other streets in the immediate vicinity will retain their lanes and basic configurations.
REMINDER OF WORK HOURS
As an ongoing reminder, the contractor is adhering to prescribed work hours which include the following at Massachusetts Avenue and H Streets, NW between 2nd and 4th Streets:
- Monday-Friday 7:00am-5pm
- Monday-Tuesday 7:00pm-12:00 midnight, as needed
- Saturday-Sunday 8:00am-6:00pm, as needed
Also, work in the I-395 Highway, including the new on-ramp portal being constructed at 2nd and Massachusetts Avenue is permitted for 24-Hours operation. The highway work takes place overnight for safety reasons as there is much less traffic.
I-395 OVERNIGHT LANE CLOSUREAs noted below, work in the I-395 Highway will last for the next several months. There will be overnight lane closures and detours to accommodate the installation of pre-fab concrete wall panels in the median and then vertical steel erection. This work is not any louder than previous overnight highway operations. However, there may occasionally be different sounds as the concrete panels and steel pieces are placed and secured. If unusually loud noise occurs overnight, please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 202-719-0196 to report the problem.
MASS AVE. & H St. AREA NW:
- There will be ongoing single lane closures on surface streets for the next several weeks, as approved by DDOT, for final milling and paving, including:
- Backfill at 2nd & E Street in progress
- Milling and paving on H Street westbound between 3rd & 4th Street in progress
- Milling and paving on 2nd Street between Massachusetts and K Street to begin on July 17th.
- Granite curb/brick gutter pan/handicap ramp installation in progress at 2nd & H Street. SE corner completed, the northeast corner in progress.
- Street light and traffic signal infrastructure in progress, working at 2nd & H Street, westward.
3RD STREET AREA NW:
- Old 3rd Street ramp demolition underway.
- Additional work on 3rd Street requires an ongoing single lane closure. One lane of through traffic is still open at all times.
I-395 & 2nd STREET AREA NW:
- All vertical concrete completed as of June 28th.
- Light fixtures, conduit, and pipe installation ongoing at night.
- Lane closures being utilized in northbound lanes during the daytime.