11 Aug Construction Update/ Look Ahead
TRAFFIC & ONGOING UTILITY RELOCATION CONSTRUCTION
Following is the Construction Look Ahead/Weekly Forecast, for the Third Street Tunnel Infrastructure Project which outlines work activities that may impact the surrounding community, as provided by Property Group Partners (PGP). Balfour Beatty Construction DC (BBCDC), the construction manager, will make every effort to advise PGP of changes that affect the scheduled events. The schedule is subject to weather and unforeseen circumstances.
WEEKEND ROAD CLOSURES/TRAFFIC SHIFTS
- On Saturday and Sunday, August 12th & 13th there will be a full closure on Massachusetts Avenue with associated detours to accommodate paving activity.
Now that the new Massachusetts Avenue Portal is open, here is a reminder of approved traffic routing:
- Southbound traffic entering I-395 will use the new Massachusetts Avenue portal entering from the eastbound lanes of Massachusetts Avenue on the approach to 4th Street, NW.
- Motorists traveling south on 3rd Street must use the D Street entrance.
- There is no access to the new portal for motorists traveling westbound on H Street or Massachusetts Avenue. NOTE: There is also NO LEFT TURN from westbound Massachusetts at 3rd Street.
- Motorists approaching I-395 above New York Avenue or traveling westbound on H Street or Massachusetts Avenue, NW are advised to enter the highway at the New York Avenue entrance or use 4th or 5th Street to access the D Street on-ramp.
- Eastbound H Street between 3rd and 4th Streets will be expanded to three lanes.
- Eastbound Massachusetts Avenue between 3rd and 4th Streets will be reduced to two lanes.
- All other streets in the immediate vicinity will retain their lanes and basic configurations.
REMINDER OF WORK HOURS
As an ongoing reminder, the contractor is adhering to prescribed work hours which include the following at Massachusetts Avenue and H Streets, NW between 2nd and 4th Streets:
- Monday-Friday 7:00am-5pm
- Monday-Tuesday 7:00pm-12:00 midnight, as needed
- Saturday-Sunday 8:00am-6:00pm, as needed
Also, work in the I-395 Highway, including the new on-ramp portal being constructed at 2nd and Massachusetts Avenue is permitted for 24-Hours operation. The highway work takes place overnight for safety reasons as there is much less traffic.
I-395 OVERNIGHT LANE CLOSUREAs noted below, work in the I-395 Highway will last for the next several months. There will be overnight lane closures and detours to accommodate the installation of prefab concrete wall panels in the median and then vertical steel erection. This work is not any louder than previous overnight highway operations. However, there may occasionally be different sounds as the concrete panels and steel pieces are placed and secured. If unusually loud noise occurs overnight, please email email@example.com or call 202-719-0196 to report the problem.
MASS AVE. & H St. AREA NW:
- Permanent pavement markings are scheduled for areas where the pavement is complete on August 12th.
- On Tuesday, August 15th Pepco will connect power to 200 Mass. No power outages will occur as a result of the digital switch.
- Contractor and DC Water will replace an 8” waterline on H St. eastbound followed by pre-cast concrete replacement. This area will be paved on August 19th.
- There will be ongoing single lane closures on surface streets for the next several weeks, as approved by DDOT, for final milling and paving and granite curb and gutter installation.
- NOTE: On the evening of Tuesday, July 18th DC Water performed a test water shut that was not successful. DC Water indicated that they need to go back to the drawing board to figure out where to make the shut and they will notify property owners, however, we will notify you as soon as we hear something more definitive.
- Street light and traffic signal infrastructure in progress, working at 2nd & H Street, westward.
3RD STREET AREA NW:
- Old 3rd Street ramp demolition continues.
- Additional work on 3rd Street requires an ongoing single lane closure on 3rd St. One lane of through traffic is still open at all times.
2ND STREET & I-395 TUNNEL AREA NW:
- Contractor will concentrate on 2nd Street roadway activity and with plan for full paving on August 19th.
- Light fixtures, conduit, and pipe installation ongoing at night.
- Lane closures being utilized in northbound lanes during the daytime.