19 Oct Construction Update/ Look Ahead
TRAFFIC & ONGOING UTILITY RELOCATION CONSTRUCTION
Following is the Construction Look Ahead/Weekly Forecast, for the Third Street Tunnel Infrastructure Project which outlines work activities that may impact the surrounding community, as provided by Property Group Partners (PGP). Balfour Beatty Construction DC (BBCDC), the construction manager, will make every effort to advise PGP of changes that affect the scheduled events. The schedule is subject to weather and unforeseen circumstances.
WEEKEND ROAD CLOSURES/TRAFFIC SHIFTS
- There will be a full closure of Massachusetts Avenue on Saturday, October 21st and Sunday, October 22nd with associated detours for paving on Saturday and lane marking on Sunday.
- 3rd Street will be closed from Massachusetts Avenue to E Street, NW on Saturday, October 21st and Sunday, October 22nd. Pedestrian access will be available at all times. Vehicular access to residential properties on 3rd Street will be via 4th Street only. Please note that 4th Street will be closed north of Massachusetts Avenue.
- NOTE: To avoid traffic back-up on H Street at 3rd, contractor will close H Street at 2nd Street.
REMINDER OF WORK HOURS
As an ongoing reminder, the contractor is adhering to prescribed work hours which include the following at Massachusetts Avenue and H Streets, NW between 2nd and 4th Streets:
- Monday-Friday 7:00am-5pm
- Monday-Tuesday 7:00pm-12:00 midnight, as needed
- Saturday-Sunday 8:00am-6:00pm, as needed
Also, work in the I-395 Highway, including the new on-ramp portal being constructed at 2nd and Massachusetts Avenue is permitted for 24-Hours operation. The highway work takes place overnight for safety reasons as there is much less traffic.
I-395 OVERNIGHT LANE CLOSURE
Note: Work in the I-395 Highway will last for the next several months. Nighttime lane closure has been suspended until October. Daytime lane closures remain in effect for northbound lands. If unusually loud noise occurs overnight, please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 202-719-0196 to report the problem.
MASS AVE. & H St. AREA NW:
- Contractor will pave 3rd Street from H Street to Mass. Ave. eastbound; Mass. Ave. eastbound from 3rd to 2nd Street. Paving to occur on Saturday with lane markings on Sunday.
- All hardscape installations throughout work zone continue with completion expected by end of October.
- Work on the small “eyebrow” island on H Street between 3rd and 4th Streets has commenced and pavers and sod will be placed in the next few weeks.
- Pepco has begun connecting the new street lights and will follow with traffic signal power.
3RD STREET AREA NW:
- As noted above 3rd Street will be closed from Massachusetts Avenue to E Street, NW on Saturday and Sunday to accommodate paving and striping of the 3rd & Mass. Ave intersection as well as final assembly of the large tower crane in the 600 block of 3rd
- Light evening work has been permitted and is underway on the east and south sides of Holy Rosary Church.
- 3rd Street overhead protection system reconfiguration is under review. Preliminary evaluation results are being evaluated.
- Additional site work requires ongoing single lane closure on 3rd Street. One lane of through traffic is still open at all times.
2ND STREET & I-395 TUNNEL AREA NW:
- Contractor will mill and pour concrete base at 2nd & Mass. Ave. intersection.
- Final lighting adjustments being made in portal.
- Periodic closures being utilized in northbound lanes during the daytime.