26 Oct Construction Update/ Look Ahead
TRAFFIC & ONGOING UTILITY RELOCATION CONSTRUCTION
Following is the Construction Look Ahead/Weekly Forecast, for the Third Street Tunnel Infrastructure Project which outlines work activities that may impact the surrounding community, as provided by Property Group Partners (PGP). Balfour Beatty Construction DC (BBCDC), the construction manager, will make every effort to advise PGP of changes that affect the scheduled events. The schedule is subject to weather and unforeseen circumstances.
WEEKEND ROAD CLOSURES/TRAFFIC SHIFTS
- On Saturday, October 28th there will be an expanded closure in and around the 3rd Street Tunnel Infrastructure Project to facilitate the transfer of traffic signals from temporary to permanent per DDOT mandate to restrict traffic until new signal systems are fully operational. The closures include:
- Massachusetts Avenue between 2nd and 4th Streets, NW
- 3rd Street between G and H Streets, NW
- 4th Street between G and H Streets, NW
NOTE: All associated detours will be in place. Alternate route west will be north on 2nd Street or New Jersey Avenue to K Street, west on K Street. Alternate route east will be south on 4th Street E Street, east on E Street. Pedestrian and vehicular access to and from residences within the work zone will be managed via signage, barriers and flag men where necessary.
- On Saturday, November 4th there will be a full closure of Massachusetts Avenue with associated detours for work in the new portal.
REMINDER OF WORK HOURS
As an ongoing reminder, the contractor is adhering to prescribed work hours which include the following at Massachusetts Avenue and H Streets, NW between 2nd and 4th Streets:
- Monday-Friday 7:00am-5pm
- Monday-Tuesday 7:00pm-12:00 midnight, as needed
- Saturday-Sunday 8:00am-6:00pm, as needed
Also, work in the I-395 Highway, including the new on-ramp portal being constructed at 2nd and Massachusetts Avenue is permitted for 24-Hours operation. The highway work takes place overnight for safety reasons as there is much less traffic.
I-395 OVERNIGHT LANE CLOSURE
Note: Work in the I-395 Highway will last for the next several months. Nighttime lane closure has been suspended until October. Daytime lane closures remain in effect for northbound lands. If unusually loud noise occurs overnight, please email email@example.com or call 202-719-0196 to report the problem.
MASS AVE. & H St. AREA NW:
- All hardscape installations throughout work zone continue with completion expected by end of October.
- Work on the small “eyebrow” island on H Street between 3rd and 4th Streets has commenced and pavers and sod will be placed in the next few weeks.
3RD STREET AREA NW:
- NOTE: The 3rd Street Portal will be closed on Saturday, November 4th to accommodate final lighting and brickwork. Traffic will be detoured to 3rd and D Street tunnel access.
- Light evening work has been permitted and is underway on the east and south sides of Holy Rosary Church.
- Additional site work requires ongoing single lane closure on 3rd Street. One lane of through traffic is still open at all times.
2ND STREET & I-395 TUNNEL AREA NW:
- Periodic closures being utilized in northbound lanes during the daytime.