15 Dec Construction Update/ Look Ahead
THIRD STREET TUNNEL INFRASTRUCTURE PROJECT SUBSTANTIALLY COMPLETE
Most utility relocations and surface street construction for the Third Street Tunnel Infrastructure Project is substantially complete. As noted below there may be ongoing street closures to complete some of the remaining and some recently communicated new requirements from DDOT as needed over the next several months.
TRAFFIC & ONGOING UTILITY RELOCATION CONSTRUCTION
Following is the Construction Look Ahead/Weekly Forecast, for the Third Street Tunnel Infrastructure Project which outlines work activities that may impact the surrounding community, as provided by Property Group Partners (PGP). Balfour Beatty Construction DC (BBCDC), the construction manager, will make every effort to advise PGP of changes that affect the scheduled events. The schedule is subject to weather and unforeseen circumstances.
WEEKEND ROAD CLOSURES/TRAFFIC SHIFTS
- On Saturday, December 16th & Sunday, December 17th Massachusetts Avenue will be closed with associated detours to accommodate work in the I-395 portal.
REMINDER OF WORK HOURS
As an ongoing reminder, the contractor is adhering to prescribed work hours which include the following at Massachusetts Avenue and H Streets, NW between 2nd and 4th Streets:
- Monday-Friday 7:00am-5pm
- Monday-Tuesday 7:00pm-12:00 midnight, as needed
- Saturday-Sunday 8:00am-6:00pm, as needed
Also, work in the I-395 Highway, including the new on-ramp portal being constructed at 2nd and Massachusetts Avenue is permitted for 24-Hours operation. The highway work takes place overnight for safety reasons as there is much less traffic.
I-395 OVERNIGHT LANE CLOSURE
Note: Work in the I-395 Highway will last for the next several months. Nighttime lane closure has been suspended until October. Daytime lane closures remain in effect for northbound lands. If unusually loud noise occurs overnight, please email email@example.com or call 202-719-0196 to report the problem.
MASS AVE. & H St. AREA NW:
- New reinforcement detail for sidewalks around perimeter of Cobb Park will commence in the coming weeks and will be complete in January, 2018 weather permitting
3RD STREET AREA NW:
- Light evening work has been permitted and is underway on the east and south sides of Holy Rosary Church.
- Additional site work requires ongoing single lane closure on 3rd Street. One lane of through traffic is still open at all times.
2ND STREET & I-395 TUNNEL AREA NW:
- Work in the tunnel will continue for the next several months including the ongoing installation of exhaust/ventilation systems, lighting, finishes, and signage as well as the removal of temporary supports and other critical path activities related to Capitol Crossing development above I-395.
- Grade-level site work for Capitol Crossing development continues along 2nd Street, the east lane of 2nd Street from E Street to the new portal opening will remain closed for the duration of construction.
FINAL LOOK-AHEAD/WEEKLY FORECAST FOR THIRD STREET TUNNEL INFRASTRUCTURE PROJECT:
- This is the final notice and update for the Third Street Tunnel Project. We are confident that the new I-395 Massachusetts Avenue Portal and other infrastructure/road improvements constitute a major improvement for vehicular access to the highway and pedestrian/bike safety on the surrounding surface streets. The District government, development partners, and contractors sincerely appreciate the patience and cooperation of area residents and business owners during construction. Vitally important utility upgrades and improved roadways will make this already thriving community an even more attractive destination for new living, dining and retail opportunities.
We wish everyone a joyful holiday season and all the best in the New Year!