10 Jun Construction Update/ Look Ahead
Following is the construction Look Ahead/Weekly Forecast, for the Third Street Tunnel Infrastructure Project which outlines work activities that may impact the surrounding community, as provided by Property Group Partners (PGP). Balfour Beatty Construction DC (BBCDC), the construction manager, will make every effort to advise PGP of changes that affect the scheduled events. Schedule is subject to weather and unforeseen circumstances.
Phase 5 of I-395/3rd Street Tunnel Project began Monday, June 6, 2016
This phase of work involves a change to the configuration of the northbound highway travel lanes between E Street and Massachusetts Avenue as well as a shift in the 2nd Street off ramp. The new ramp is now open. More significantly, vertical construction on the north block will be visible at Massachusetts Avenue as steel construction above the highway begins.
TRAFFIC & ONGOING UTILITY RELOCATION CONSTRUCTION
As noted below, utility relocation activities continue on the surface streets and there will be intermittent street closures during the next several months, including most weekends. While the information below describes work to take place in the area over the next two weeks, please check the Daily Traffic Impact report at www.3rdsttunnel.com and real-time traffic advisories at www.ddot.dc.gov for the latest closure and detour information.
I-395 OVERNIGHT LANE CLOSURE/CONCRETE WALL AND STEEL ERECTION:
As noted below, work in the I-395 Highway will enter a new phase that will last for the next seven months. There will be overnight lane closures and detours to accommodate the installation of pre-fab concrete wall panels in the median and then vertical steel erection. This work should not be any louder than the current overnight highway operations. However, there may occasionally be different sounds as the concrete panels and steel pieces are placed and secured. If unusually loud noise occurs overnight, please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 202-719-0196 to report the problem.
MASS AVE AREA NW:
- Installation of new 30” water main on Massachusetts Avenue between 4th and 2nd Streets is complete. DC Water completed tie-in at 2nd & Mass. Tie-in at 3rd & Mass expected in next 60 days.
- DC Water will notify residential customers in the event of any anticipated service disruptions when work resumes.
- There will be periodic road closures and detours due to DC Water work activity.
- The street-level platform slab is progressing with ongoing concrete pouring. An event is planned on the deck on the afternoon of June 14th. There should be no impact to traffic.
- Excavation and shoring of new I-395 southbound access portal. Micro-piles installation ongoing. New phase for west end of portal expected to begin in June at 4th Street and Massachusetts Avenue.
- New streetlight, traffic signal and manhole installation ongoing.
3RD STREET AREA NW:
- Electric cable substantially complete. Backfilling and permanent paving ongoing.
- Installation of a new 8” water main along the east side of 3rd Street from F Street to E Street.
- DC Water plans a water shut-off overnight in the next week at 3rd and G Street. There is no impact to residential properties.
- DC Water is contemplating additional, non-related work in this area.
- Curb inlets and manholes being installed down 3rd Street between E and G Streets.
I-395 & 2ND STREET AREA NW:
- New 2nd Street off-ramp has opened to tunnel traffic.
- Traffic on northbound and southbound I-395 will experience slower speeds through the work zones. No parking restrictions are anticipated.
- Steel beam installation and erection ongoing.
- Pre-cast concrete wall installation in median ongoing.
- Installation of highway piers.
- Four of eight new tunnel exhaust fans installation has begun.
- Ongoing demolition of bridge abutment and auxiliary space.