29 Sep Construction Update/ LookAhead
TRAFFIC & ONGOING UTILITY RELOCATION CONSTRUCTION
Following is the Construction Look Ahead/Weekly Forecast, for the Third Street Tunnel Infrastructure Project which outlines work activities that may impact the surrounding community, as provided by Property Group Partners (PGP). Balfour Beatty Construction DC (BBCDC), the construction manager, will make every effort to advise PGP of changes that affect the scheduled events. The schedule is subject to weather and unforeseen circumstances.
WEEKEND ROAD CLOSURES/TRAFFIC SHIFTS
- There will be a full closure of Massachusetts Avenue on Saturday, September 30th with associated detours. No street work on Sunday.
- NOTE: On Sunday, October 1st a temporary mobile tower crane will be installed along the 600 block of 3rd Street. One northbound lane will be closed temporarily, however, the travel lane will be shifted to one southbound lane so that vehicles with be able to travel in both directions during this operation. The larger permanent tower crane is expected to be installed on or about October 21st.
REMINDER OF WORK HOURS
As an ongoing reminder, the contractor is adhering to prescribed work hours which include the following at Massachusetts Avenue and H Streets, NW between 2nd and 4th Streets:
- Monday-Friday 7:00am-5pm
- Monday-Tuesday 7:00pm-12:00 midnight, as needed
- Saturday-Sunday 8:00am-6:00pm, as needed
Also, work in the I-395 Highway, including the new on-ramp portal being constructed at 2nd and Massachusetts Avenue is permitted for 24-Hours operation. The highway work takes place overnight for safety reasons as there is much less traffic.
I-395 OVERNIGHT LANE CLOSURE
Note: Work in the I-395 Highway will last for the next several months. Nighttime lane closure has been suspended until October. Daytime lane closures remain in effect for northbound lands. If unusually loud noise occurs overnight, please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 202-719-0196 to report the problem.
MASS AVE. & H St. AREA NW:
- Contractor will pour concrete at Mass. Ave. west of 4th Street. This completes the concrete work at the 4th and Mass. Ave. intersection which will receive final asphalt paving on October 7th and with permanent lane marking on October 8th.
- Landscape contractors have begun tree replacement at 400 Mass. and intend to complete by the end of October.
- Work on the small “eyebrow” island on H Street between 3rd and 4th Streets has commenced and pavers and sod will be placed in the next few weeks.
- Pepco has begun connecting the new street lights and will follow with traffic signal power.
- New street lights will be energized during the week of October 2nd.
3RD STREET AREA NW:
NOTE: See note above about mobile crane installation on Saturday, October 30th.
- Light evening work has been permitted and is underway on the east and south sides of Holy Rosary Church.
- 3rd Street overhead protection system reconfiguration is under review. Preliminary evaluation results are being evaluated.
- Additional site work requires ongoing single lane closure on 3rd Street. One lane of through traffic is still open at all times.
2ND STREET & I-395 TUNNEL AREA NW:
- Northbound/Southbound: wall tile installs complete; awaiting door delivery; ceiling tile installation in progress.
- Light fixtures, conduit, and pipe installation ongoing at night.
- Lane closures being utilized in northbound lanes during the daytime.